Save the Date!
The 22nd annual National Children & Youth Garden Symposium will be held July 17-19, 2014 in Columbus, Ohio, with optional pre-symposium excursions on the 16th as well as an optional post-symposium excursion on the 19th. Registration will begin in spring 2014.
What to Expect at the Symposium
This is the only national event of its kind where you can network with like-minded teachers, garden designers, community leaders, program coordinators, and others involved with connecting kids to the natural world. At this year's symposium, you will have the opportunity to:
- Choose from over 50 engaging workshops and lectures on topics ranging from garden design to curriculum to program success factors.
- See innovative models of programming and design at local school, community, and children’s gardens in Dayton and Columbus during optional pre-symposium trips.
- Discover Gahanna, “The Herb Capital of Ohio”, through a fun and educational session at the Ohio Herb Education Center during an optional post-symposium trip.
- Learn about the unique Metro Parks System, a state-wide program that works to conserve land for recreational and educational purposes.
- Experience local cultural attractions such as the North Market in downtown Columbus, featuring more than 30 vendors of fresh and local food, flowers, baked goods, and more.
- Gain insights from regional and national youth gardening experts during keynote presentations.
For an overview of the past couple of events, take a look at the NCYGS2012 Brochure and the NCYGS2013 Brochure. If you'd like to see pictures from NCYGS2013 in Denver take a look at our photo gallery.
The closest airport is the Port Columbus International Airport. and various bus services stop in Columbus. Our Symposium Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn-University, is located within three miles of the Ohio Union, the headquarters for NCYGS 2014. Symposium attendees receive the special rate of $115 per night for bookings made by June 15. The group code is NCYGS, and the name of our group at the hotel is National Children and Youth Garden Symposium. Hotel guests receive complimentary shuttle service to locations within three miles of the hotel, including anywhere on the Ohio State University campus.
Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is our local host for NCYGS2014. Just two miles east of downtown Columbus, it features beautiful indoor and outdoor gardens, art exhibitions, and exceptional plant collections. Symposium participants will spend an evening here on July 17, and will be able to explore the exquisite garden displays and resources on tours led by their knowledgeable education staff.
The Ohio Union at The Ohio State University will serve as meeting and event headquarters for the symposium. The brand new, LEED-certified, state-of-the-art building provides a relaxing and productive atmosphere.